Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Democratic Headquarters




On Thursday afternoon I rolled into the Akron Central Democratic Headquarters on 3 Merriman Drive. After being interviewed by the office manager Liz, I was assigned to Brad, one ofthe field organizers. Brad has been assigned to Cayahoga Falls, a blue color neighborhood, which in the past had been known as Caucasian Falls, due to the restrictive covenants in property deeds prohibiting sales to any persons of color. It has changed some since the 1970's, but not much. I was given housing with a family nearby (more about that in a later post).


Here is Brad showing me the territory of Cayahoga Falls.




On Friday Brad got me oriented to our mission and I worked the rest of the day on the phone bank. You have to be able to handle a lot of rejection with equinamity. But we do make a few connections with people ready to be persuaded to Obama and we even manage to recruit a few volunteers. By mid afternoon the parking lot is packed with 30 - 40 cars.




No comments: