Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday, Akron, OH

Well, I finally rolled into town and found the Obama Headquarters. AND was put immediately to work on the phone bank.

After Liz, the person who orients new out-of-state volunteers had time to orient me, she decided that I could best be used working with their other organizer, beginning tomorrow.

The campaign has housed me with a wonderful ardent Democrat and her son, who is a senior in high school. And is as smart as Obama. The colleges are recruiting him! He also has broken about every track record in the league for cross country this year. I'll bet they are after him. Nice to see such a focused young person.

Unfortunately, Akron and the surrounding cities are suffering through a major economic downturn. I can imagine that college hopes are a distant dream for many families here. I can see why Obama's economic message is beginning to resonate here in Ohio.

Tonight we watched the debate. It was great. Form did not win over substance, no matter how folksy. Two snap polls gave it to Joe.

Even my conservative friends are beginning to value competence over party label.

Well, it's late and I'll put up some pictures tomorrow. John

No comments: